Scroll down for Information on how to order meals
HBM has delivered hot nutritional meals since 1971 to most of the city of Fort Wayne- call the office for exact locations.
- HBM delivers 15+ routes each weekday.
- HBM is the only delivery program in Fort Wayne to provide a specialized medically appropriate diets.
- HBM is the only delivery program in Fort Wayne to have the meals prepared fresh every day.
- Volunteer drivers will deliver the meal.
- Meals are delivered during the noon hour.
- HBM deliver hot balanced meals in Fort Wayne based on a 3 meal per day diet.
- HBM is a member of the Meals on Wheels America Association.
- Price of the meal is $5.20.
- HBM statements are produced the first week of the month. It can be sent to an alternate payer if applicable. Payment is required by the 15th of each month to continue service.
- Delivery is five meals a week. HBM delivers Monday- Friday. Multiple meals may be ordered for one day.
- The meal includes a hot tray with entree, vegetable, and starch, and a cold sack with beverage, salad or fruit. A dessert is included multiple times per week if appropriate to the requested diet.
- Clients need to call HBM no later than 7:00 a.m. of the day that they wish to cancel the meal. We cannot cancel your meal for that day after 7:00 a.m. as the orders have already been placed.
- The HBM answering machine is on 24 hours a day.
- If the client is not at home when the driver delivers the meal, the driver will call the Homebound Meals office (unless other arrangements have been made). The office will call the client’s emergency phone number. At times the drivers have found the client with a medical emergency, and we are able to get them help by calling their emergency phone number.
- Drivers cannot leave meals at a location without refrigeration, if you do not answer the door. You will be charged for the meal if you have not made advanced alternative arrangements
HOW TO ORDER HOMEBOUND MEALS
Homebound Meals delivers hot nutritional meals within most of Fort Wayne, Indiana. The meals are prepared at local major medical facilities.
How can I or a loved one sign up to receive meals?
Please call the office at 260-422-3296 or e-mail email@example.com, to confirm delivery to your area. The office is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. You may also complete the application/contract included on this website and it will be emailed to the office for review.
Who is eligible to receive meals?
Anyone can receive meals who is in our delivery area and if there is a place open on the route that services their address. Generally these are people who cannot provide their own nutritious/medical diet, use preparation equipment or whose life is enhanced with the delivery of meals. There are no age restrictions. Financial assistance is available on a limited basis. Financial assistance does require an additional application step and must be done over the phone or in person.
When are the meals delivered?
Meals are delivered by volunteer drivers during the noontime hour. Meals are prepared at multiple locations and pick up times vary between 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. When you order meals, we let you know the window of time that you can expect your meals to be delivered. However, various factors can alter the daily delivery including, weather, traffic etc. We ask that you maintain a 45 minute window for your daily delivery.
What if I have an obligation and will not be home on a certain day?
You need to call the office before 7:00 a.m. to cancel the meal for the day in question however more advanced notice is always appreciated. Our answering machine is on 24 hours a day. You do not pay for a meal you cancel by the deadline.
Are the meals fresh or frozen?
The meals are prepared fresh every day at major medical facilities in our community. Medical diets are overseen by certified nutritionists and updated as determined appropriate.
What if I need a special diet?
Our special diets are listed on the application/contract. For example, diets can be made available for diabetics, renal, cardiac, diverticulitis, as well as other situations. If you have advanced dietary requirements, call us to see if we can meet your needs.
Is there a menu available?
No. You cannot order. Insofar as meals are prepared in large medical facilities – it is impossible to accommodate a specific ordering process and maintain a cost effective product.
What information do you need?
We need your name, address, name of subdivision or apartment, phone number, birth date, type of diet needed, beverage choice, food allergies, and an emergency phone number of a family member. This is contained on a application/contract that must be signed prior to services.
Why do you need an emergency phone number?
We need an emergency phone number in case the person does not answer the door at the time of delivery. It is important for us to determine that the person is O.K. because, occasionally, a person has fallen or might be in need of emergency medical assistance. Some of these situations have been life threatening. We cannot accept clients unless there is an emergency contact number. We prefer family members. We do not accept landlords as emergency contact.
What is the cost of the meals?
Full price meals are $5.20 per meal. We offer a subsidized cost to those with proof of need and if funds are available. This requires Director approval and additional application information.
How do I pay for the meals?
We prefer to have a credit card number on file to automatically pay for the meals at the end of the month. We accept VISA, MasterCard and Discover, checks or money orders but cash can only be paid in the office. Bills are sent out the first week of each month to cover the meals for the previous month. There is a return envelope to send back a check or money order. You cannot pay the drivers.
What if someone else is paying for the meals?
Bills can be sent to anyone in the United States.
What if I do not want to receive meals everyday?
Meals are delivered Monday through Friday. To maintain a place on the route 5 days per week are required. If you require fewer days, please contact the office and ask for the Director.
Can I get a meal delivery even if my need is temporary?
Yes. Some people just need the meals when recovering from an illness or returning from a hospital stay. Some use us while the main caretaker is on vacation.